Woodland Park at Cleveland Forest: New Homes in the Heart of Historic Downtown Greenville

You may have noticed the Fairview Custom Homes team hard at work in downtown this past year building the newest fixtures of Greenville’s historic Alta Vista neighborhood. Located along Southland Avenue and Woodland Way sat a small enclave of 22 virgin lots – a rare find in such a desirable location. Now, there are three finished homes and seven under construction including two Fairview homes that are for sale. To better introduce the neighborhood, we asked listing agent Tom Marchant of the Marchant company to provide an overview of the project:

In broad strokes, how would you describe the history and vibe of the Augusta Road neighborhood that borders Cleveland Park?

“The general Alta Vista neighborhood was one of the earliest neighborhoods of its stature “outside” of Downtown Greenville. Meaning “high view”, it sits on a hillside overlooking the city center. With the growth and development of Greenville in the past 100 years or so, Alta Vista has consistently been the most sought-after location for residences near Downtown Greenville. In the past 15 or so years, especially the past five years, Alta Vista has seen enormous growth and demand in the way of renovations, teardowns, new construction and such. With the allure and attraction of our incredible Downtown, more and more people want to be in this highly attractive, lush, sidewalk/street-lined neighborhood. The access to Cleveland Park is always a plus with the natural green space it offers and, of course, the more recent addition of the Swamp Rabbit Trail and easy access from multiple areas around the park.”

Why is the Woodland Park location so appealing for new home buyers?

“For all intents and purposes, there has really been no significant developable land in the Alta Vista area. If someone wanted new construction, they would need to find a scarce vacant lot, tear down an existing structure or do a massive renovation. Woodland Park offers buyers the opportunity to purchase a recently platted lot in a planned neighborhood with underground utilities, ready to build in a prime location.”

How much of the neighborhood is still available?

“There are currently eight out of 22 lots still available in Woodland Park with three spec homes under construction.”

Why are there so few new homes in the downtown Greenville for-sale inventory?

“There is simply little to no developable property in the Alta Vista area. You will see projects from time to time in the Downtown area, but due to land costs and zoning, these parcels are better-suited for multi-family (condos or apartments). When you do see a new home, it’s typically because someone has torn down and existing structure and rebuilt. However, buying an existing home to tear down can be pricey.”

What features or components are most desired by new home buyers in Greenville?

“Buyers almost always want a master on the main with as many other important rooms on the main level as well. They also want some level of openness, possibly an elevator, some degree of outdoor living space, high ceilings, high-end kitchen/appliances, good storage, well-insulated and quality construction.”

What percentage of high end homebuyers are looking for move-in ready homes versus a preference to design and build a custom home?

“I would say that in the Downtown area, around 75% of high-end home buyers would prefer a move-in ready home. The other 25% are okay with the idea of building. I do believe that more and more buyers are willing to consider this option to get almost exactly what they want. Buyers outside of the Downtown area are probably less likely to be willing to build. In the Downtown market, high-end buyers who understand the market, know that they need to keep this option open. Our builders are great at making the process as smooth as possible from lot selection to design to picking out finishes.”

What’s your outlook on the downtown Greenville residential home market?

“I am very optimistic about the Downtown residential home market. We live in an amazing region, state, city, and location. People are flocking to Greenville for work and retirement. We make just about every top 5 or 10 lists of growing and attractive cities. Downtown has become a major draw for anyone looking to make a lifestyle change. Woodland Park’s location could not be better to stand the test of time with all of these factors.”

If you’re interested in a lot or new home in Woodland Park at Cleveland Forest, contact us or give us a call for the latest information! 864-836-1133